Next-Generation Optoelectronic Nanomaterials Lab
차세대 광전나노재료 연구실
The submenu doesn't work with Internet Explorer now. Please use other browsers.
NGON Lab's promotional video has been uploaded!
Our group, Seongbeom won the best poster award at the 2022 Fall Meeting of the Korean Society of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry!
Our group, Jaeyeong won the best poster award at the 7th International Conference on ENGE (Electronic Materials and Nanotechnology for Green Environment) 2022!
Our group, Jaewhan won the best poster award at the 2022 Fall Conference of the Korean Society of Metals and Materials!
The research in which Prof. Himchan Cho participated as a co-author has been
published in Nature !
Our lab has been selected as '2022 KAIST C2(Creative & Challenging) Research Lab'
Research Area of NGON lab.
Metal Halide Perovskites and Beyond
Perovskite & Quantum Dot
Direct Optical Patterning of Colloidal Nanomaterials
Lab Vision & Research Area
1. Vision of NGON Lab
The future society will be based on "the Metaverse", which is a fusion of the real world and the virtual world, and accordingly, the importance of hyper-realistic displays as a medium of virtual communication is increasing. To realize such immersive AR/VR near-eye displays, the development of high color-purity light emitters is indispensable to expand the color reproduction range of displays.
The NGON lab dedicates to bringing technological breakthroughs to overcome the current limitations and challenges of optoelectronic semiconducting nanomaterials and devices to realize the next-generation hyper-realistic displays. Especially, we are interested in luminescent high-color purity nanomaterials, including metal halide perovskites (e.g., cesium lead halides, etc.), colloidal semiconductor nanocrystals (e.g., II-VI quantum dots (CdSe, ZnSe, etc.), III-V quantum dots (InP, InGaP, InAs, InSb, etc.)), and their light-emitting diode applications.
We chemically tailor the composition, structure, and surface ligands of the nanomaterials based on novel synthetic routes and surface chemistry to improve their optical/electrical properties and stability. Also, we seek to in-depth understand the fundamental aspects of nanomaterials and devices including structure/property relationships and device mechanisms.
On the other hand, we don't just focus on existing research fields. We aim at pioneering new fields of study by discovering new classes of optoelectronic semiconducting nanomaterials and devices, which are unprecedented. By using a totally different synthetic approach, for example, molten salt-based colloidal synthesis, we develop new nanomaterials which can exhibit outstanding optical/electrical properties for applications to next-generation optoelectronics and displays, DUV/EUV lithography, image sensors, quantum computing, energy, smart healthcare, etc.
- 미래사회는 현실·가상 융합 세계인 메타버스(metaverse) 기반의 사회가 될 것이며, 그에 따라 소통의 매개가 되는 초실감형(hyper-realistic) 디스플레이(AR/VR 등)의 중요성이 점점 커지고 있습니다.
- 그러나, 현재 상용화된 소재, 소자 및 공정으로는 "초실감형"이라고 부를 수 있는 수준의 고해상도 자연색 AR/VR 디스플레이를 구현하는데 근본적인 한계가 있습니다.
- 이에 , 우리 NGON Lab에서는 차세대 디스플레이의 핵심 구성 요소인 고색순도 발광성 반도체 나노재료, LED 소자 및 초미세 광학 패터닝(from DUV to EUV) 기술에 대한 혁신적인 연구를 통해 메타버스 세계 구현에 기여하고자 합니다.
- 한 편으로는, 합성의 어려움 등으로 구현이 어려웠던 광전 반도체 나노재료를 신개념 합성법을 통해 세계 최초로 구현하고 소자에 응용하는 연구를 통해 새로운 소재 및 소자 분야를 개척하는 연구실을 지향합니다.
2. Research fields
- Metal halide perovskites and colloidal semiconductor nanocrystals
- Perovskite and QD LEDs
- Surface chemistry and interface engineering of luminescent nanomaterials
- Ultrahigh-resolution patterning of nanomaterials
- Machine learning-based nanomaterial discovery and synthesis
For example, our specific research interest includes
- High-stability Quasi-2D perovskite light-emitting diodes
- Environmentally benign (i.e., lead-free) metal halide perovskites
- Colloidal semiconductor magic-sized clusters and other low-dimensional nanostructures
- "Photoresist free" direct optical patterning of colloidal nanocrystals